1. Shahada (affirmation) -There is nothing worthy of worship save Allah and Muhammad isthe Messenger of God".
2. Salat (prayer)-The duty to worship the One God in prayer five times each day.
3. Zakat (almsgiving) - The duty to give away alms and to help the needy.
4. Siyam (fasting) - The duty to keep the fast of Ramadan.
5. Hajj (pilgrimage) - The duty to make the pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in a lifetime.
The Major Religious Events of Islam are:
- Ramadan - Month of Fasting
- Laylat al-Quadr - Towards the end of Ramadan, Muslims observe the "Night of Power," which is when the first verses of the Qur'an were revealed to Muhammad.
- Eid al Fitr - At the end of Ramadan "The Festival of Fast-Breaking."
- Hajj - Pilgrimage in Mecca
- Day of Arafat - During one day of the Hajj, pilgrims gather at the Plain of Arafat to seek God's mercy, and Muslims elsewhere fast for the day.
- Eid al Adha - At the end of the annual pilgrimage, Muslims celebrate "The Festival of Sacrifice."